Thursday, March 17, 2011

Basketball and basketball bellies

Tonight my Belmont Bruins (Proud class of 1997 here) played in the NCAA tournament against Wisconsin. Belmont hosted a watch party that I wanted to go to. Since the pregnant bride had ZERO interest in joining me, I went and watched the game. There were 1,200 kids (kids meaning 18-21 year olds) there and me. I saw guys holding girls' hands, young lovers, confused, confident and searching for my soul kids. I admit, it was fun to watch.

Then I got home. My wife and her "basketball" belly was laying on the couch worn out from another day of growing our child. What was fun to watch just 30 minutes ago was now worrying me sick. What is my daughter going to be facing in 20 years? What will the struggles of the youth of America be? Will I teach her well so that boys respect her? I know it's a long way off but preparing her for this begins soon.

1 comment: