Sunday, May 1, 2011

One year...

I live in West Nashville, Tennessee. A community called Bellevue. A year ago today, it started raining....and rained some more....then some more. Over 2 days, Bellevue got over 15 inches of rain. The flooding was unreal. The bride and I live less than half a mile from the Harpeth River so the damage was very close to home. For weeks we went to my old neighborhood just down the street and helped people tear their homes apart, throw their belongings on the curb and listen to their stories and share their tears. Today, one year later, there are picnics and celebrations focused on how far we've come and how far we've left to go before everything is "normal" again. In some ways it seems like the flood was a few weeks ago, other times it seems like it was many years ago.

Apples and oranges I know, but I can't help to think about what my life will look like a year from today. I'll have a 10 month old daughter. My wife may or may not be employed. I may or may not be sleeping through the night. I may or may not have hired a diaper changer full time (kidding on this one). Days, months and years come and go so quickly, it's hard to slow down and enjoy every day, every minute. Everyone with kids always say "they grow up so quickly". I can believe this and hope that I can rejoice and be glad in EVERY day that the Lord blesses me and my baby girl with.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a 70+ y/o retired pediatrician and just came across your blog. I love it! Parents need to be open to learning and making mistakes (small ones) when taking care of kids.
    I would like to ask you to follow my blog; I think you will like it. It's simple advice about being a parenting, not just how to parent. Being a parent is much more than just how to parent. Check it out! www.messengersindenim.org. Named after my parenting book by the same name.

    ReplyDelete